Sunday, March 14, 2010

a delightful diversion indeed...

okay, just for the record, i have the most amazing friends. kim and jill have introduced me to the world of all things jane austen, and i must admit that i'm completely smitten. about once every other month we get together with other homeschool moms and watch our favorite movies made from the books, with an occasional jaunt into other period movies.

fun stuff!

well, tonight was a bit of a surprise. because we got to watch two movies instead of the usual one. we watched persuasion, realized it wasn't dark enough outside to even think about going home, and then jill pulled pride and prejudice out of her purse.


persuasion was...*sigh* wonderful as always.
pride & prejudice...well, i think i lost a few brain cells on that one. funny in some parts, completely ludicrous in others. the kissing scene after he was run over by kitty was probably the most awkwardly funny part.

all in all it was a great night with too much food and much-needed laughter. most of us are so ready for spring break we can reach out and just touch it. jenny, as always is a fabulous hostess and we all love the fact she has a tv the size of her wall upstairs. 

only one sad note - quinn called me to say austin's now running a 102 degree fever with a sore throat. guess we'll be paying a visit to the doctor in the morning.

4 comments:

Don said...

"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."- Mark Twain in a Letter to Joseph Twichell, 13 September 1898

Lori Bowen said...

don, i love this quote! i can even picture him saying it...i adore his books too, but for different reasons. i suppose it's the romantic in me that loves her writing - the suspense of it all. :0)

Beth said...

Did you see the 'new' Persuasion that came out on Masterpiece Theatre last year?

I have it on DVD if not... :D

Lori Bowen said...

no i didn't beth! perhaps we can kick the boys out and the three of us girls watch it when we come up. :0)