Wednesday, March 03, 2010

cut

this is the second year in a row our venus flytrap has put out a flower stalk. only this time, it's decided to put out not one, but THREE flower stalks. last year we cut off the stalk after it had bloomed, because when we did some research we found that making flowers actually will kill the flytrap. fortunately though, our little plant lived to see another summer. i keep trying to talk my son into letting it go dormant over the winter, but he just can't seem to do it. we've had it for several years now - a record for us.

so we're presented with a dilemma now - to cut or not to cut? with three flower stalks growing, i'm sure our plant will be too exhausted to survive. and it's not like the seeds it may produce will get planted. they're incredibly small to begin with.

this poor plant is putting all it's effort into reproducing.

it kinda reminds me of myself at times.

there have been seasons in my life when i have poured all my energies into those things that would eventually destroy something precious to me. for years i've gone round and round that merry-go-round. and invariably i would hit a brick wall. to cut or not to cut? "but i feel so productive in this area!", i'd say. "surely this is God's will for my life!", i'd exclaim...not realizing that what i was doing was sucking the life out of me, my marriage and my family. but i'd go to God, presenting my "fruit" to Him in prayer. and He would begin...

cutting.

but over time i've noticed that those areas He has brought pruning into my life have become more fruitful. as painful as the cutting was, now i had something even more precious in it's place:

peace.

and there's never been anything in my life He's asked me to lay down that i have not reaped back in greater measure.
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." john 15:1-2

2 comments:

Beth said...

Completely off topic but had to share... looking at the pic reminded me of how many times I've looked out that window (usually waiting for the coffee to finish brewing - LOL)... and how, although just a guest, I feel so at home in your kitchen.

Yeah, only I could get the warm fuzzies looking at a venus flytrap. :)

Lori Bowen said...

beth, i just love it that you feel so at home here. :0) and i miss you more than you know. shoot me a message and let me know if we're still "on" for spring break.

love,
lori
<3